Monday, July 22, 2013

A Q&A With David Salcido, Author Of Dimensions of Desire

David Salcido is a brilliant author, whose Dimensions of Desire Renaissance E Books/Sizzler Editions is extremely proud to have published.  We sat down with Dave and asked him about his book, writing, and other fun stuff:

 
Dimensions of Desire combines science fiction and fantasy to create contemporary side trips through the veil of possibility where the strange and erotic lurk in both familiar and unfamiliar places.

Here you will encounter a different kind of vampire who sucks more than blood; a celebrated demon slayer who wakes to find himself trapped within the voluptuous body of his gorgon girlfriend; a living sex toy whose only desire is to become a real boy; a seductive evil that preys on the average in exchange for the exceptional and a fledgling hunter seduced by the urban elves he is sworn to destroy. Sprinkled liberally throughout are stories of superheroes on the make, zombies in love, Christmas elves with kinky proclivities and marauding aliens who can be anything you want them to be, so long as you want them to be blue. All these personalities and more trip the veil fantastic, revealing colorful histories, unique viewpoints and dark carnal desires that will astonish, arouse and provoke.
#

Why do you write the type of book you are best known for?

Well, I don’t know that I’m “best known” for anything in particular, but I HAVE had a lot of stories published within the erotica field. The easy answer? I like sex and was always told that I should write about the things I know. The longer answer is that I am a fan of speculative fiction, particularly that written by the likes of H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, O. Henry, Rod Serling, Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman. I have always been taken by stories that, on the outset, appear to be set in the world we occupy, but are then given a sideways twist into unfamiliar territory. Conversely, those authors who are able to take mythological/legendary characters and “humanize” them by placing them in a modern context have always rated high with me. All of these concepts and ideas have sort of been blended together in the mix-master that is my brain and VIOLA! A recipe for prose that has served me well over the years.

Where do you get your ideas?

They come from all sorts of unexpected places. Sometimes I’ll be reading a particularly interesting article, in a magazine I pick up while waiting for my car to be serviced, and my brain is off and running. Other times, I’ll have a conversation with somebody, or be present when something particularly odd or off-kilter happens and that will prompt an idea. Sometimes an image will do it. Most of my ideas, however, come from dreams; both the sleeping and waking variety. I think the examples I started with tend to percolate in my brainpan until I have the time to “drift” and that’s when it generally happens. I have a VERY fertile imagination and “what if” is one of my Id’s favorite games. Generally, I’m just along for the ride. Afterwards, I get to chronicle what I’ve experienced. It’s a bit like adapting a movie into written form.

How and when do you write?

These days, it’s whenever I get the opportunity, but my favorite time to write is early in the morning, when the dreams are still fresh. I know a lot of writers who can’t seem to get started until later in the day and will write through the night to finish a story or get an idea fleshed out. Me, I prefer to hit it first thing and get it all out, before the myriad interruptions of the day cloud the idea and leech away the color. For me, it’s all about the color and texture of the idea. If it doesn’t interest me, it probably won’t get very far. I find that my ideas are at their most colorful, and thus more interesting, first thing in the morning.

What do you like most about being an author?

Well, the term “author” isn’t really a label I tend to use, so much as it is a basic component of who I am, so the question is a bit like asking what I like most about breathing oxygen. If I really had to think about it, though, I guess I would have to say that I prefer being an author to, say, being a politician, or a televangelist or a serial killer, because the benefits to humanity are far and away more positive and the rewards more substantial. I mean, when was the last time ANYbody got a warm, fuzzy feeling from a politician, a televangelist or a serial killer?

What is your advice to beginning writers.

Write because you love writing and never stop. The minute it becomes about fame or fortune--though neither of those things are necessarily bad if handled correctly--it will become a job. A job is work. Writing should never be work. The human animal has an instinctive aversion to work and will devise any number of ways to get out of it. That automatically defeats the purpose of writing, which is the exploration of passion and the sharing of ideas. So, write. Not like your life depends on it, but because without that outlet you will feel incomplete and unfulfilled. Write like you’re scratching an itch. Romance the idea and write like a lothario  If more people approached writing like they do sex, the literary world would be a much different place, don’t you think?

Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

I have fans? Um… well… I guess I would like to say… thank you for being a fan. Just, please, don’t stalk me...

What can your readers look forward to from you in the future?

More of the same madness, I suppose. These days I’ve been writing a lot of scripts for short films, which has been a lot of fun. There’s just something about watching my words spilling from the mouths of actors that thrills me. It gives a whole different dimension to the storytelling aspect. It’s not new, really, because I’ve written a few plays that I’ve been privileged to see produced, but it never stops being fascinating. 

On the other hand, I haven’t stopped writing short stories and am still sending them out when I find an anthology that looks interesting. I’ll be honest though, up until recently, I hadn’t really been concentrating on publishing. I stopped doing that about a decade ago. Instead, I was just writing for the love of writing and filing the stories away. It wasn’t until I was contacted by a couple of editor friends about contributing to anthologies they were working on that I went back to look at some of those files and realized I had literally hundreds of completed stories to choose from. 

The anthology, Dimensions Of Desire, came about in much the same way. M.Christian is an old friend of mine who collaborated with me on Blue Food back at the turn of the century. He asked me if I had enough work to put an anthology together and the rest is history. I imagine there will be a lot more of that in the future. In any case, I find the idea of publishing my work a lot less stressful than I did when I was younger and had to wrack my brain to come up with something suitable. This is a much better place to be in, conceptually speaking. I have no complaints and the future looks very promising.

1 comment: