Monday, November 12, 2012

You're Such a Drama Queen - Elizabeth J. Kolodziej


 Making a reader actually laugh out loud or cry makes me happy. How sadistic is that? I love when you cry! Muwhahaha. Why? The answer is pretty simple: I am dying to make you feel multiple emotions for my characters. 

To be honest, I think that is why Kasidy is one of my favorite characters to write. Kasidy is a ball of reader emotions all rolled up in one. You feel bad for her cause of her lineage as a half demon. Happy for her cause she is pretty damn strong willed. And find it hilarious when Decland serves her, her just deserts. Perfect!

In fact, I had no idea that I was writing a novella when I was working on Demon Protection Plan for The Sexiest Time of the Year anthology. Kasidy was very persistent about it getting done. She was the first character to invade my dreams in a long time. When I gave it to my beta reader she was shocked it was a first draft. I remember thinking to myself, “hey maybe I am better at novellas than novels”. Haha. <shaking my head> :whisper: They are both difficult in their own ways. :whisper:

Truth be told, I was better at banter than I ever gave myself credit for and figuring that out made me feel all warm and squishy inside. Kasidy was the one that brought it out of me though.

From Demon Protection Plan (some parts cut a tad):

“Any brothers or sisters?” His hand still on top of mine, causing my heart to skip a beat.
I shook my head. “Nope. I’m an only child.” Like my mother would ever have sex with another man after I was born. It was terrible enough she had to deal with a half demon for a daughter that had instances of fire erupting from her hands and the flexibility and quietness of a cat, especially when I shifted into one.
“That’s obvious.” He pulled his hand away and continued to eat.
“What is that supposed to mean?” I snapped.
Before putting another fork full of pasta in his mouth he chuckled. “You’re snobby and appear to believe you should always get your way.”
My mouth hung open, stunned. “I am not either of those things. I am a very nice person.
Around a mouth full of food he replied, “When you decide to show me that side of yourself please let me know.”
“Dickhead.” I took my plate into the kitchen with me. After rinsing it off I strolled out to the porch, the screen door smacking against the wood. I stared out into the darkness wondering when this whole adventure would be over and I could go back to my normal life. A place far away from the likes of Decland.
“Don’t be a sore head Kasidy!” He yelled from the kitchen

If that made you smirk wait until you read the rest! Especially the scene at the market. <grin>

<3’s and fangs,
Elizabeth J. Kolodziej

Website: www.vampyrekisses.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ejkolodziej
Buy link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Elizabeth+J.+Kolodziej
Twitter: @ejkolodziej
Like me: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vampyre-Kisses/121023447917851

No comments:

Post a Comment