Thursday, October 18, 2012

Magically Kinky!



I think there's so much more to both, for lack of a better word, terms. For this post, I'm going to focus on some of the varying degrees of my perceptions of magic.
Yep, that's me. Or rather, my books. The words have a pretty straightforward connotation – magic in its various forms is usually self-explanatory. Spell-casting, potions, energy manipulation, telekinesis, sleight of hand – all those things are almost common when one thinks of magic.

Kink carries its own set of perceptions. Toys, bondage, pain – it's what comes to just about anyone's mind when they hear the word kink. Thanks to a certain set of books, BDSM is front and center just about everywhere. I have mixed feelings about that, but I do know one thing.  When my writing comes up in conversation, as it often does, there are a lot fewer blank stares when I explain what I write.


Magic is everywhere. In some of the least likely places to find it, to many people's way of thinking. I suppose they're not really looking – too much of our time is spent in a rush, hurrying through life, our heads down staring at our smart phones and tablets, and missing lots of the details and nuances that occur all around us.

Though I'm just as guilty of that at times, I do spend a lot of my time absorbing those nuances. The little magical moments in what seem to be ordinary, mundane events. Someone walking her dog on the street might get me to peering a little closer, peeling back layers and wondering what's going on in her life. Does she look happy, sad, angry? Why? The magic of a story idea sparking to life usually begins with just such a tiny moment.

To me, though, the most incredible magic is that which springs from the interaction between two people. Most times, there is no logical explanation for how our hearts work. So it has to be magic, right? Sure, lots of studies have been done to try and scientifically explain physical attraction, emotional connections and the like. But why does everything have to be explained in that way? I much prefer to think there's magic at work in these situations.

Of course, that magic isn't always quite as delightful as it may sound, because there is always the flip side of enchantment. When I create my characters, I like to put them in the worst possible situations. Pretty far from a typical explanation of magic, but in some ways, dark and despairing as the moment may seem, there's something bewitching going on. Something that will ultimately reveal a character's inner core. Even in that gloominess, there's a miracle happening – hope and strength build, resisting the urge to give up – that enables the character to endure. The human spirit possesses a magic all its own and in those situations, it shines through bright and clear.

Of course, I never leave my characters alone in these situations – there's always someone to counter the other's aspirations – and it's pretty much a guarantee they're in direct opposition. Both have goals, in contradiction with the other. And here's where magic comes into play again – they oppose, but yet, they understand their opponents' perspective. It doesn't mean either one gives up the fight, though. My characters are universally stubborn! But they can empathize with the other, even if they never agree.

Perhaps it's because, when those two characters come together in a physical way, the magic there overrides everything else. She sees his tortured soul, he understands her need to be loved and protected. For a little while, they can lose themselves in the moment and forget everything that makes it impossible for them to reach that magical plane when they're wide-awake and not sharing intimacy.

Of course, since my books involve BDSM on some level, there's another bit of magic at play – and not just magical bondage, etc. Despite whatever conflicts my characters may have with each other, that sexual magic comes more into focus when BDSM is involved. The level of trust required between the characters for them to participate in such endeavors is scary, yet it's also thrilling and breathtaking. Putting aside doubt and fear, and trusting completely in your partner can be a moving experience. There's magic at work there. It's freeing and strengthening and exhilarating and astonishing and so many other things.

Magic is everywhere – you just have to know where to look for it and how to recognize it. It makes the world so much more fun to live in when you do find it!

Giana Simone's novel Prince of the Universe has garnered attention from the readers as an excellent source of erotic fiction with plenty of story and substance!  Pick up Prince of the Universe on Amazon, or Sizzler Editions

No comments:

Post a Comment