Monday, September 10, 2012

Why mix erotic BDSM with the paranormal?




No one has directly asked me why I have a tendency to mix paranormal with my erotic BDSM tales, but if Iwas a reader I’d be curious so I’m guessing there are people out there who want to ask but haven’t. This blog post is for you. :)

There are many different reasons to write romantic influenced, erotic tales with a BDSM backbone and a flair for the paranormal. Is that enough use of adjectival words to describe what I write? Oh, I forgot LGBT friendly as well. I like to be all inclusive. In case you are wondering, I have a huge smile on my face right now, and I’m trying to figure out if there are any other adjectives I could throw in, but I think I’ll stop for now.

All I can speak to is what inspires me, of course, and the one driving theme behind all I do is power- power games, power play, gaining power, losing power, wanting power. Clearly, power is something that fascinates me. Perhaps it is because the only power I had as a child was to make my parents angry, maybe it is because growing up everyone ignored me, or it is fathomable that power simply fascinates me because it is the one currency all groups, people, times, and governments have whether in positive or negative amounts.

Power is what drives nations to war, whether direct power over bodies or power over minds. We are a power hungry animal at heart. Some of us want to dominate while others want to submit, but mathematically it is a matter of adding or subtracting power, taking or giving, demanding and receiving or forfeiting and giving.

Still, we have hang ups about talking of power when it meets up with sex and naked bodies. It can help to create distance by using non-human characters to show the brunt capability and sheer audacity of power. This is why paranormal creatures like vampires, werewolves, werehyenas, etc intrigue me. It is a way of discussing the heart of power without stepping on psychological toes and still luring a reader into a very hot and sexual story that hopefully will leave them panting.

Pushing Boundaries by Amber Rose Thompson is an erotic ride you don't want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment