Saturday, July 28, 2012

Communication, Compromise & Respect: The Art of Collaboration by K. B. Cutter

K. B. Cutter is co-author, with Margie Church, of Razor, a novel of romance and bondage.

I've been invited here today to discuss what it's like to work with another writer. Frankly, I didn't want to disappoint the folks at Sizzler Editions, however, I don't really know what it's like. My co-author, Margie Church, told me how and what how to write.

Okay, that's not true. Well, mostly . . . There will be times in the partnership where one person will take on a dominant persona. I do as well, but it's usually at the Velvet Anvil, one a.m. show. Two drink Minimum. Ball gags optional. And my stage name is Lola, but, that's not relevant at the moment. What I'm trying to say, in my own unique way, is while you both strive for equality, it may fall on one author to . . . well . . . crack the whip. I'll touch more on this topic later on, hopefully, not inappropriately.

If you plan to work with another author constructing a story, you must have a relationship. It certainly helps if you both have a friendly rapport. Margie and I are friends, dang close buds, so the creative process went smoothly. If there is a hint of acrimony or jealously, or any other unproductive emotion, you are doomed from the start.

Once you embark on said collaboration, first rule: THE STORY COMES FIRST. Both of you, second. –wink- -wink- -nudge- -nudge- Margie and I agreed on the outset, along with shooting irons, authorial egos checked at the door. The book is the center of the universe, everything else is ancillary. A large portion of Razor contains my authorial 'tone.' Margie did not throw a hissy fit and it vice versa when she wrote detailed, complex, and at times, sensually erotic, pivotal scenes. Why? It benefited the story. Period.

Its, CCR, folks. No, not Creedence Clearwater Revival (if you don't know who CCR is, seek Google, it's your friend)

Communication: You must have a free exchange of ideas. Margie and I communicated through texts, emails and phone conversations, plotting, spit balling, and seriously hunkering down over the keyboard. If you are not willing to listen to your co-author's thoughts, not matter how divergent from your own, time to pack your bags and get out of Dodge.

Compromise: Yes, most dreaded of the C words . . . hmmm . . . maybe not, however, one of the most difficult to adhere to. I have a tendency to write formally. Margie explained to me that I would have to 'contemporize' my writing for Razor, since it takes place in the 21st century. I shouldn't be afraid of contractions and be ready to slay those pesky adverbs.
Margie has a keen eye for editing, sentence structure and flow. There were times I had to go back, move words around, and chop the choppy convoluted phrases.
Even if I thought, there were prosaic masterpieces, if it didn't fit the tone of the story . . . SLICE!

Respect: Aretha said it, spelled it, sang it. A must in ANY collaboration. If you think of your partner possesses diminished intellect or creativity, then, by all means, go write this bestseller on your own.

Coincidentally, Razor contains D/s relationship elements, Margie and I engaged in one as well. No, she didn't shave my nether regions with a strait blade (privately, she did confess this was number ONE on her bucket list) but she took point. Margie is talented, focused, disciplined and a wealth of information. What did I bring to the table? Donuts. Bavarian cream. Man, they are soo good.

I digress. By nature, I'm easy going, laid back and flexible (Actually, a pretty neat talent to have outside of the bedroom.) Our personal traits are a good fit (resisting innuendo) and our talents complimented each other. I cannot imagine writing this story with anyone else. I learned quite a bit from working with Margie and my effort on Razor, coupled with the Church Lady's tutelage, is some of the best work I have completed to date.

Please check out Razor, an unconventional, loving, richly textured, and decidedly adult erotic romance with BDSM elements. You will not be disappointed.

Bio:

Born and bred Long Islander, I grew up working class poor. There were few escapes for me: The beach, the bay and books. I fell in love with all three.

As I grew older, I became a voracious reader. The natural evolutionary process led me to write. I filled countless marble composition notebooks with my fevered scribblings. Eventually, with the aid of modern technology, namely the PC, Microsoft Word and the internet, I was blessed to find an exceptional interactive writing forum. For years I wrote in every conceivable genre and sub-genre.

The long journey to professionally published author is complete, although one I think I shall never tire and keep traveling. While I am a member of the Thin Blue Line at night, during the day I create stories of erotic romance and dark horror. One day, I will marry the two successfully. The results, I hope, will be bloody sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment