Monday, June 18, 2012

YOU KNOW YOU’RE A WRITER…

Guest post from author Emma Paul


Many people have asked me about being a writer. What is it about me that allow my thoughts to flow so creatively on paper-err keyboard?

That’s a good question, because I simply don’t understand why people would find it such a unique talent. Writing simply is a part of who I am.
I actually don’t understand how friends and family seem to be unable to do what I do. Or at least they claim not to be able to. Maybe I just take it for granted that I can put together a story with such easy and creativity. 

After pondering this for a while, I came to the realization that creative people, those that think outside the box like myself, have certain characteristics that set them apart from the average person.

Since I am a writer, let,s see what sets us apart from Joe and Susie Smith.
I love Jeff Foxworthy and one of my favorite skits he does is the “you know you’re a redneck…” act. I decided to borrow from Mr. Foxworthy, (thanks JF) and make my own list of…

You Know You’re a Writer When-
Your house is always a mess. Yep I have found that my house is never neat. It’s not that I don’t clean it. It’s just that I’d rather be writing, and every time I start to clean, I have to walk past the laptop and that scene I need to finish…

You Know You’re a Writer When-

Your ten year old has to call you to remind you that she had a half day and you were supposed to pick her up two-hours ago. BTW she’s calling from the Police Station, cuz that’s where the principal dropped her off. Ouch!

You Know You’re a Writer When-

You wake up in the middle of the night to jot down the cool, often freaky dream you just had because, you know it will make a great story.

You Know You’re  a Writer When-
You’re characters start talking to you in you’re head and you listen. Sometimes you’re husband catches you reenacting a scene with said character…(i.e.) my husband is convinced we have ghosts.

You Know You’re a Writer When-

No one truly understands your sense of humor.
You never see the glass as half empty.
Life to you is just another story to be told.
You see people as unique individuals.
You embrace the oddballs and are bored with the “straight-laced”.
You believe that love is an emotion to be shared between people regardless of sex, creed or race.

And Finally…

You Know You’re a Writer When-

You write to live and live to write!

Emma Paul is the author of three  novels from Sizzler Editions.  See her list of science fiction/fantasy erotic romances here

No comments:

Post a Comment