Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From Rejection To…….. “Holy Shit I’m Published!”

By Emma Paul

Holy shit is right! My happy dance did not last as long as I would have liked. I found out very quickly that getting published is W. O. R. K., which I have very humbly decided stands for:

W = writing my ass off more then I used too.

O = Originality is not cliché

R = revising the revisions

K = Keep learning how to write

The painful truth is that just because one book was accepted it does not put you at the top of the publishing food chain. In fact, it sends you straight to the bottom. Now the real fun begins. As I claw my way up the literary ladder, I am learning that fame and fortune does not come over night. Honestly, I was not expecting it too. But damn it would have been nice!

Like most good things, you need to work for that success. I seriously do not mind it at all. In fact, I refuse to whine about how I have to hold down a full time day job, be mom, wife, sister, daughter, and writer at the same time. I will not do that, because despite my packed schedule I love what I do.

Much has changed, for one I am setting goals. Starting at the bottom and working my way up, with every blog I write, interview, promo-op and new submission I send out. I am the low man on that totem pole and I accept that with pride and foresight to become a better writer with each step I take.

This experience has given me more ambition and strive which I have not felt in years. My days have doubled. I am losing sleep and I think I need a stronger eyeglass prescription. My list of goals is getting longer. Writing has suddenly taken over my “me” time, hell IT IS my "me" time. I have no idea what is on television because I no longer watch it. Instead, I make sure to work on my writing, even when I am dying to turn on that episode of CSI Miami. And, my laptop has become a permanent appendage. It goes everywhere I go. During the day, I use my lunch hour for editing or reading the latest informational blog on writing. It has helped my diet tremendously!

It may seem, when you read this post, getting my first book published has only added to the stress in my life! But the reality is, I have never been happier! For once in my life, I am working to achieve something that had only been a passing daydream at one point. I am an author! I have become something that I wanted to be since I was a kid. Every sleepless night and every second I put into my writing career is priceless. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Oh wait, I am!

Emma Paul

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! And Sizzler is a great firm to be with. They published two of mine "Times Square Cutie" and "Stallers" and I'm very proud to be with them. Isn't it great to have that feeling? Being published is bliss but, as you well know, now the real work begins, Grrrrrr....:(

    Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there you are! I've missed you.
    Great post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete