Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Q and A with Sizzler Author Patricia Green

Patricia Green's erotic ebooks for Sizzler Editions include the sexy science fiction novel, Laricon's Ways, the lesbian collection, Four-Part Hermony, and the Daughter of the Moon series.

SIZZLER EDITIONS: Why do you write the type of book you are best known for? PATRICIA GREEN: I write erotic romance novels. I grew up reading romance, and, for some reason, my characters all want to have sex a lot. When I see the "movie in my head" that is every scene I write, I simply type it out. Sex is a natural outcome of many romantic interactions. And, I love happily-ever-afters. Ambiguous endings leave me unsatisfied with a book. For me, that realm is for literary fiction writers.

SIZZLER EDITIONS: Where do you get your ideas?
PATRICIA GREEN: That's a good question. Most of my stories come from having a conflict idea in my mind first, and then asking "who would be most affected by this situation?" So, what if a girl in a difficult relationship meets a dominant but nice guy and then they're thrown together in close quarters for a prolonged period of time in a free-love sort of culture? That was the idea behind Daughter of the Moon, my two-book series. Or, what if there was a sadistic planetary ruler who was into the sex-slave trade, and an undercover cop was set up to get him, but the cop's ex-girlfriend was abducted by the sadist? That was the plot for Laricon's Ways. The characters I created for these books, Sonata and Mikhail, and Michael and Nina, respectively, had personalities that lent themselves to adventures that filled in the how, what, when and why of these stories. The trick is to make sure they don't overwhelm each other.


SIZZLER EDITIONS: How and when do you write?

PATRICIA GREEN: I am a full-time writer, so I write five or six days a week. I tend to do promotions and writing-related reading in the mornings and then spend the entire afternoon writing. I try to quit by six o'clock every night so that I have time for my family.


SIZZLER EDITIONS: What do you like most about being an author?
PATRICIA GREEN: I love creating compelling characters. It's great fun to give them goals, dreams, foibles and history. Each of them is a story within a story. Remember those imaginary friends you had as a child? I still have them in the form of my characters.


SIZZLER EDITIONS: What is your advice to beginning writers?
PATRICIA GREEN: Be persistent, and don't let promotions get in the way of writing. It's easy to get caught up in twitter, Facebook, Google+ and your own blog before you really have anything to sell. Each of those things takes time away from writing your book(s). They are the gift-wrapping; you need the gift first. I recently read an article by Bob Mayer in which he suggested that new authors write three books right away. The key part of this advice is that you need to write, write, write, and don't get hung up in all the other stuff before you've nailed down your product.

SIZZLER EDITIONS: Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

PATRICIA GREEN: Teach your children to read and give books to your close friends and family. People are so bound up with TV and movies these days that they can miss the excitement of adding their own value to a written story. When you share a book, from reading Harry Potter to your kids, to gifting an erotic Kindle story to your spouse or your best friend, you are giving a little escape and the pleasure of discovering their imagination again. Read more. Share what you read. To share my books, you can start by going to my website: http://www.patriciagreenbooks.com . There, you will find all my REB books, with excerpts and links, and a few more little tidbits.


SIZZLER EDITIONS: What can your readers look forward to from you in the future?

PATRICIA GREEN: My interest remains on erotic romance. I believe that sex can happen in the context of good guys winning and bad guys losing and the heros and the heroines having a happily ever after. This kind of story is wholesome and never becomes tired. Readers find reliable stories in my writing, and I write things I think have a good message. It's a win-win situation.
I am at the tail end of writing an erotic, BDSM, polygynous series. This is based on three characters I devised more than a few years ago. They fascinated me, and I wrote a great many short stories about them, but never put all their adventures in a book. The short stories are being compiled into an anthology, and a novelization of one of their adventures is in the editing stage. Although the relationship is M/f/f, it is a romantic love story with a satisfying happy ending for each segment. I'm also working on erotic and romantic spanking stories these days. I don't know exactly where that came from, but it's driving my imagination. The entire Domestic Discipline movement fascinates me. How do these people think? What makes them tick? How is spanking erotic? What if…? So, I'm exploring spanking stories, some in a BDSM context, some in otherwise normal circumstances. In many ways, spanking stories are wholesome because there is such a direct correlation between bad behavior and uncomfortable consequences. They have titillation value while also having a moral.

No comments:

Post a Comment